Instagram has engrossed itself so much in social virtual reality that it is known to be one of the most used app these days. No wonder why people are so crazy about this app because of the cool features it got. People across the world has come closer because of this app as it allows you to follow any person, any page, and any hashtags you like. All you need to do is find their username and you can see who they follow, who they hangout with, what their posts are and so on. However, some people thought their privacy was being disturbed, so we came up with some tricks to restrict people from seeing who you follow.
But how are you gonna see their activity on Instagram and talk to them if you don’t know their username? Instagram has a policy that it doesn’t allow people to keep same usernames. Whenever you were updating your Instagram username, you might have seen a pop up like- Username already taken. This is because if a person already has that username then you can’t keep that for your account. This is why some people have funny usernames or have letters, numbers, lots of underscores etc. written in their usernames. Having such unique usernames makes it even more difficult for people to find others on Instagram. So, Is there any other way by which you can find people on Instagram? Well yes there is, we have discussed certain ways how you can find people through email or phone numbers on Instagram.
By Phone Number
Suppose you want to find your crush’s profile who happens to be in your same classmate group and you have their phone number saved in your contacts. Is there any way you can find them through that phone number? Yes you can, but only if they have linked their Instagram account with that exact same number. To know the process, let’s follow the steps as explained below.
- Go to Instagram of your Android or iOS device and fill in the username and password of your account to login.
- Locate a profile icon in a small circle somewhere at the bottom right corner of your screen and click on it.
- Once you get to your profile tab, find three horizontal line icon at the top and select it. A pop up menu will appear.
- From this menu, click on ‘Settings’ and then on ‘Account’ option.
- A list of options will come starting from ‘Personal information’ option to ‘Add new professional’ account. The second last option of switching your account helps in deleting every message at once.
- But for now, tap on ‘Contacts syncing’. An option of Connect Contacts will come with a toggle button right in front of it.
- Click on the toggle to turn on ‘Connect Contacts’ option and Instagram will start syncing phone numbers from your smartphone’s contact book.
- After that, press back and again go to the menu from where you selected ‘Settings’. From there, click on ‘Discover people’ option.
- All the people from your contact book who have registered themselves on Instagram by the same number you have saved in your mobile phone will come in that section.
- You can now see their profile and send them a request to connect on Instagram. If the contact you are finding doesn’t come, then maybe that person isn’t on Instagram or has registered themselves with some other number.
People who will be using this feature for the first time will get a message in a box asking to, ‘’Allow Instagram to access your contacts?’’
Simply click on ‘Allow’ option to let the app have access to your contacts and it will let Instagram identify the people who are already listed in the app.
There is no such specific feature of finding someone by their email address. It is impossible to find someone by typing an email address in the search bar of Instagram. It will show either no results found or somewhat matching usernames with that email. But, it will definitely not show the person’s id who has linked that same email address with their account. So, we found some alternatives ways for you. Here’s how it goes:
Using Facebook linked feature
It is certainly impossible to find someone on Instagram by email address but this doesn’t apply on Facebook. Facebook and Instagram are a lot related but in some features, one outperforms the other. Besides email address or phone number, you can find people Facebook by their photo too.
In order to find people by their email address, all you have to do is:
- Go To Facebook app and type the email address in the search bar placed at the top of your screen.
- Press the Enter button and then, click on people option.
- A list of accounts with same name will appear. Scroll down and find the one you are looking for.
- Send them a request as soon as you find their profile.
- Once they accept it, open Instagram and go to ‘Discover people’ tab. If you have linked your Facebook to Instagram, and the other person also has their Facebook linked to Instagram, most probably the Discover people tab will show you their Instagram id in suggestions.
There are chances you still might not see their account as the other person may have kept their email address confidential for security reasons.
Using The Invite Friends Option On Instagram
- Open the official app of Instagram and you will find five icons at the bottom of your screen. Click on the last one which will take you to the profile page of your account.
- Tap on the three line icon placed along a ‘+’ icon at the top right corner and then select ‘Settings’.
- The first option is ‘Follow and invite friends’, click on it and then choose the option of ‘Invite friends via email’.
- It will automatically open your Gmail with, From, Subject and Body part already filled in. All you need to do is fill in the email address of the person you wanna invite on Instagram.
- At last, tap on the Send arrow and the other person will receive your email with your mentioned username.
- They can send you a request to connect with you.