Platforms like Instagram and Snapchat are all fun to use but when it comes to privacy, every person gets concerned if the app is safe to use or not. This is why these platforms offer such high privacy to its users and roll out new functions from time to time to make the app more user friendly. We get that Snapchat is considered to be the most amazing app when it comes to privacy because of its feature of letting people know whenever someone takes a screenshot of chat or a story picture. But, Instagram is none the less.
Instagram has been trying its best at protecting user’s privacy by launching out features like hiding activity status, hiding story, hiding someone on your account and so on. Earlier it had a feature by which any of your follower could see your Activity on Instagram, the posts you like, the comments you do. This made people uncomfortable and they started thinking that their privacy was getting violated. So, Instagram took down the feature and since then every user has been using the app more comfortably.
We talked about many features above but is there any way by which users can hide their following list on Instagram? Well, continue reading the whole blog and you will get to know if it’s possible or not.
Is it possible to restrict people from seeing your following list on Instagram?
If you are thinking about hiding your following list completely then, we are sorry to say but there’s no such feature which can help you with that. In order to hide it from everyone, you will have to remove all your followers from your account which is not at all an option. But, there still are some alternatives we have explained below which will help you a lot in hiding your following list. Let’s take a look.
How To Restrict Others From Seeing Who I Am Following On Instagram
Switch Your Account From Public To Private
People who have been Instagram users for a long time might already know how you can choose to keep your account either private, public or business profile. Well, for those who do not know the difference between a public and a private account, we are here to tell you about both of them.
If you choose to keep your account public or business profile, you won’t get any follow requests and anybody can follow you on Instagram whenever they want. Instagram gives you a very good advantage of deleting every message at once if you have a business/creator profile. But, your profile information will be public, your posts, reels, tagged pictures, following list, followers everything will be visible to others. They can share your post to anyone and even put it as their story if you have a public/business/creator profile.
Whereas if you have a private account, the other person will have to first send you a request and wait for it to get accepted. You will get the option of accepting or deleting it which is totally your choice. If you accept their request only then they will be able to see your posts, followers, story etc.
Therefore, if you want to restrict other people from having the access to see your following list, you can change your account settings from public to private. This way only the people who are your followers will be able to see the people you are following and no one else. So, lets get started with the steps of switching public account to private:
- Go to Instagram app of your Android or iOS device and enter your login credentials to open your account.
- You will land on the home tab of your account. Look at the bottom right corner and a small profile icon will appear. Click on it.
- Once you get to the profile page, tap on the three horizontal lines located at the top right corner.
- Select Settings and you will see a Search bar at the top, followed by a list of options.
- From these, find an option of ‘Privacy’ with a lock icon next to it and select it.
- You will now see three sections- Account Privacy, Interactions and Connections. Focus on the first section which contains the option named as ‘Private Account’ with a toggle switch next to it.
- Click on the toggle and then on ‘Switch to Private’ option. The toggle will turn to blue making your account private.
- This is it! Your account has finally been switched to private.
- You will now start receiving follow requests and your posts, stories etc. will only be visible to the followers you have on Instagram.
Remove The Follower
Having a private account still gives your follower the access to see your following list. Well, to completely restrict people from seeing your following list, you will have to remove each one of them. But, then there will be no point in having an Instagram account. So, it is obvious you can’t remove all of them. There are some people who keep stalking you and keeps a track of each and every detail of your activity. You can remove such people from your account and to know how to do the process, let’s follow the steps as explained below.
- Go to Instagram app of your smartphone and open your account. Navigate a small profile picture icon at the bottom and click on it.
- At the top, there will be three options next to your profile picture- Posts, Followers and Following. Click on the middle one that is, ‘Followers’.
- Scroll down and find the person you want to remove from your account or you can simply type his/her name in the search bar placed at the top.
- Once you find that person, you will see a ‘Remove’ button placed next to their username. Click on it.
- Instagram will ask for your confirmation again if you want to remove that follower from you account or not.
- Confirm by tapping on ‘Remove’ button appearing in red letters and you are done.
- Open Instagram and click on the ‘Search icon’ you will see right next to home button at the bottom.
- You will be taken to the explore page, here, locate a search bar somewhere at the top of your screen.
- Click on it and you will be able to see the search history of your account coming below. Now, type the username of the targeted account and search it.
- Select that person’s profile, then, look at the top right corner, a three dot icon will be seen next to a bell icon. Tap on it.
- A slide up menu will appear with a list of options. Choose the fifth option, that is, ‘Remove follower’.
- At last, you will be asked to confirm your action. Select ‘Remove’ option again and that follower will be removed from your account.